FAQ

Can I apply to the program as a psychology major? 

• Unfortunately, the New York State Department of Education does not consider psychology an area of science certification. It does not matter how much science may have been taught in the course. You must have a minimum of 36 credits in science of which 30 credits must be in one science discipline (biology, chemistry, physics, or earth science).

May I start the program in the spring semester?

• All students begin the program at the same Time – Spring/Summer for graduate candidates and Fall for BA/BS students. For graduate candidates, there will be an interactive summer session of coursework at Queens College and classroom work at the New York Hall of Science, in New York City public school summer programs, and in community summer programs. The summer session begins in early June.

Will I be able to continue working at my job?

• TEAMS is a full-time program. You will need to spend an intense amount of time in schools, observing and teaching. In addition, classes are held during the day. Students will generally be busy from 8 am until 5 pm on weekdays and there may be some evening classes.

How large are the scholarships/stipends?

• The value of the grant to each student is estimated at up to $20,000. Most of the money is earmarked for covering your tuition, training, books, and travel in full.

Do I have to attend the information session before I can apply?

• You are encouraged to attend an information session to become more fully aware of the parameters and terms of the scholarship, and you will be advised of on-line information sessions following submission of your Intake Survey response.

Is there any obligation on my part once I complete the program?

• For each full-year of an undergraduate scholarship award received, scholarship recipients are required to complete two years of service as a STEM teacher in a high-need local educational agency, with a maximum service requirement of six years. This teaching commitment must be completed within eight years after graduation from the program for which the scholarship was awarded.
  • Graduate stipend recipients are required to complete two years of service as a STEM teacher in a high-need local educational agency. This teaching commitment must be completed within four years after graduation from the program for which the stipend was awarded.